St. John's (Evangelical) Lutheran Church, Gary (Tolleston), IN
St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was founded by Gary’s oldest congregation, a distinction augmented by the church’s addition to the National Register of Historic Places. St. John’s traces its earliest services to 1863, when German Lutheran immigrants arrived in Tolleston, drawn by local railroad jobs. Members erected a wood frame church in 1869, repurposing it as a school after they built a larger brick church in 1888 (IndianaLandmarks.org, 2021). Originally a German church planted by Tolleston founder George Tolle, it transitioned to an African American Lutheran congregation in the early to mid-1960s under the leadership of Pr. Norman Brandt. The congregation worships using the Lutheran Service Book (2006) along with This Far By Faith (1999), a joint collaboration by the LCMS Commission for Black Ministries and the ELCA Division for Congregational Ministries, and the Commission for Multi-Cultural Ministries. Pastoral care is provided by the Rev. Delwyn X. Campbell, an LCMS National Missionary through the Office of National Mission’s Mission Field: USA program (lcms.org/Campbell).